How on earth did 'with bells on' come to express enthusiasm?What do chips on shoulders have to do with inferiority complexes? And who is the face that launched a thousand ships? Did you know that 'the rule of thumb' refers to the use of the thumb to make measurements, as the first joint of the average adult thumb measures one inch?Spilling the Beans on the Cat's Pyjamas provides us with the meanings of these well-worn and much-loved phrases byputting these linguistic quirks in context, and explaining how and whythey were first used. Absorbing, diverting and fascinating - as far as gift books go, Spilling the Beans really is the bee's knees!
- Green Beans, Potatoes, and Even Tomatoes : What Is in the Vegetables Group?
- Molecular Biology and Crop Improvement : A Case Study of Wheat, Oilseed Rape and Faba Beans
- The Big Bean Cookbook : Everything You Need to Know About Beans, Grains, Pulses and Legumes, Including Rice, Split Peas, Chickpeas, Couscous, Bulgur Wheat, Lentils, Quinoa and Much More
- Music Expressions Grade 2 : Lesson, CDs
- Expressions of Faith Coloring Book
- Cartooning : 100 Cartoon Faces & Expressions
- Facial Expressions Learning Cards
- Testing Fresh Expressions : Identity and Transformation
- Bookworm : Discovering Idioms, Sayings, and Expressions
- Oracle Regular Expressions Pocket Reference